Over the years, further land was purchased and developed and the site grew to its present size of approximately 10 acres. In its heyday, the Workhouse accommodated over 1,000 paupers, some of whom were sick, as well as up to 100 vagrants (the term used to describe those not permanently resident) per week, who were housed in what is now Osborne Walk.
Victoria was opened as a maternity unit in 1897 (Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Year) on the day she came to Sheffield to open the newly-built Town Hall.
In 1914, the term Workhouse was abandoned in favor of Institution. In 1929, the terms lunatic, asylum and pauper were replaced by mental disorder, mental hospital and rate-aided and at this time, the Institution became known as Nether Edge Hospital.
By the beginning of World War II, the hospital comprised a maternity unit, 4 sanatoria and 6 wards for the chronically sick, accommodating a total of 600 patients. In December 1940, the hospital was hit by 3 high-explosive bombs and numerous incendiary devices which damaged parts of it beyond repair – not to mention cutting off all power and water! By January the following year, the hospital was operational again and from November 1944 until May 1945, one ward was in use for the care of sick and wounded German prisoners of war.